Saturday, August 11, 2012

Daniel is Two Months!

Sweet angel. You can see a blurry Lily in the background.
Just wanted to make a quick update. Daniel was two months old yesterday! I had planned on posting last night, but I was struck down with a 101.1 fever that I think was caused by a mild case of mastitis. I am feeling much better this evening.


Sleeping elevated due to reflux.
We took Daniel to the doctor today to get his ears and lungs checked after the cold/allergies (I really wasn't sure which, but since babies rarely have environmental allergies, I am leaning on the side of cold) we all had last week. Luckily both ears and lungs are looking good! He also got started on a low dose of Zantac for what seems to be mild-moderate acid reflux. On Thursday it had gotten bad enough that he was crying when he was nursing, so it was time for medication.

Getting big!!!
We also found out that Daniel is weighing in at just under 12 lbs now (exactly the same as Lily at 2 months)! Another week or so and he will be into size 2 diapers and 3-6 month clothing. I feel like this is going too fast for me.


You can really see his one blue eye and one brown eye in this pic.
He hasn't hit any more major milestones, but he is getting better at ones he has already reached. Mastery is good! He is the smiliest baby ever! I am trying to get pictures of it, but that's easier said than done. He smiles very socially and not randomly, so it is hard to get him to smile if he can't see me smiling back at him since the camera is blocking my face. He is also VERY vocal, even more so than Lily was, making "ooh, ah, gah, goo" baby sounds. It is SO CUTE I can't even take it. I might try to get a video of it this week sometime.

Daniel is also starting to reach more at things above him when he is laying down and has brought toys to his mouth a few times. This is an important milestone, as it means he will eventually be strong enough to hold things with both hands in front of him. This milestone is called "bringing hands to midline" and you can read more about it here. This is the main thing we are working on with Daniel right now and he seems to be in the beginning stages of it, so that is a good sign.

He has had a brief attention span for toys for a while, but has really started being interested in them more this week.
To those mamas and mamas-to-be friends of mine reading this, all of these milestones are totally instinctive for typical babies and you don't have to worry about it unless they start getting behind. For instance, I definitely didn't do all the recommended things the books tell you to do to help the baby achieve milestones with Lily. I took a much more holistic approach and just let her do her thing while providing an enriching environment, and she did great. She is even advanced in a few areas, and the best part is that it is all on her own. For instance, she basically potty trained herself (I know I should shut up now). But if you want your baby to be a super overachiever I can show you my physical therapy books sometime. :-)

I will probably have a bigger medical-ish update on Monday after his 2 month well baby appointment. We could have consolidated the appointments yesterday but I had so much that I wanted to ask our pediatrician at his well baby exam that I didn't want to take up that time with a sick visit. Hope you all are healthy and happy!

Hey, whatchoo lookin' at?

No comments:

Post a Comment