Thursday, September 27, 2012

An Heirloom for Lily

Some background: when Joe and I first started buying toys for Lily, we decided that we wanted to invest in some heirloom-quality play furniture for her. We didn't want a ton of plastic stuff that we found aesthetically displeasing, and we also wanted quality items that we could pass down. Since her first Christmas, starting with a wooden kitchen, we have purchased, or asked others to purchase, high-quality wooden play furniture for her.

For her birthday this year, her Pap-pap got her a much-desired doll bed. And it was wonderful. There was only one problem-it needed bedding!


I had long ago sewed and embroidered a doll pillow for Lily, but I needed a blanket for the doll bed, and since at the time I was sewing and knitting several items in preparation for my friend Karen's baby shower, I decided to buy one.


That's where Emily and Brenda of Masterpiece Quilts came in. Soon after Daniel was born, I was searching Etsy for something unrelated one day when I happened to see a picture of a girl with Down syndrome (Emily) in one of the listings. Intrigued, I clicked on the link and it took me to the Masterpiece Quilts Etsy store.


I was amazed to read that Emily, Brenda's daughter, picks all of the fabrics for the quilts herself, designs the quilt, and helps her mother to piece together the fabric and sew the quilt. This was so inspiring to me, and reading about Emily was such a balm to my new mama's heart as we had recently learned that baby Daniel had Down syndrome as well. I really wanted to purchase a quilt from Emily. Not only did I need one, not only did I think the quilts were absolutely beautiful, I also got to support someone like my son by purchasing one. That meant so much to me.


One of the main things I worry about when it comes to baby Daniel is how his life will be when he becomes an adult. Will he be happy? Will he be able to do things that he loves and feel like he contributes to society and can be productive? Will our society support him and encourage him? What happens if they don't?

If this gorgeous doll quilt is any indication, as long as he has loved ones supporting him, just like Emily does, we have nothing to worry about. Thank you Brenda and Emily for creating this gift that I am sure Lily will cherish forever, and for showing me that with love, anything is possible. :-)


For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 
 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 
and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
that no flesh should glory in His presence. 
But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 
that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”
1 Corinthians 1:26-31

No comments:

Post a Comment